When I was little my mother, Cheryl made a dish that she called Chinese pie and I loved it! It was a bit different from this, as it included ground beef, creamed corn and mashed potatoes but this Farmers pie is twice as good because it is not only healthier, it taste ten times better! Serves 6-8
1 Tbsp. coconut or avocado oil
¼ cup fresh chopped garlic (4 Tbsp. wet)
1 lb. ground lamb (Can use Turkey)
1 lb. ground bison (Can use Beef)
2 cups onions, chopped
2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped fine or McCormicks brand Rosemary
2 tsp. McCormicks brand dried thyme
4 cups canned tomatoes
2 Tbsp. Pompeian balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
6 cups mashed cauliflower (get recipe HERE)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Heat a large skillet over medium/medium-high heat. Add the oil and once hot, stir in the garlic, being careful not to burn.
3. Add in the lamb and bison and stir, combining with the garlic. Cook until the meat is browned.
4. Remove the meat/garlic mixture from the pan, then add in the onions, carrots, celery, rosemary, and thyme.
5. Cook until onions are translucent and carrots and celery soften.
6. Add the meat mixture back into pan, and stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil.
7. Pour meat/vegetables mixture into a 9 inch x 13 inch baking pan, and spread layer of the mashed cauliflower over the top, forming a solid layer of the mash.
8. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the mashed cauliflower is slightly browned on top.
NOTE: Feel free to use any combination of lean meats with this recipe to change it up. You will love it each and every time, it’s just that dang good!