I served this tasty vegetable one Thanksgiving and my girlfriend, Vicki, just couldn’t get enough of it. She still talks about it and she is going to love that I posted this recipe since non-dairy is right up her alley in healthy eating. Don’t take my word for it though, try it out for yourself. It’s super low carb, goes great with everything from burgers to pot roast to grilled chicken and it’s incredibly easy to make.
1 head fresh cauliflower (pre-packed fresh or frozen works)
1 cup (250 mL) chicken stock
¼ tsp. fresh cracked pepper
2 cloves of garlic
Unsalted non-dairy butter
1. Cut your cauliflower head into small chunks of the florets and stem.
2. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium heat, and cover, allowing to cook for 20 minutes or so until the cauliflower is very tender and easily mashed with a fork.
NOTE: You may need to add more stock if everything is dried up….or if you have a lot of liquid still remaining, pour most of it off into a bowl and reserve. It’s much better to start with too little liquid than too much liquid. (You can always add more if needed). Cauliflower holds a ton of liquid, so start with less than you think necessary.
4. Carefully pour cauliflower and all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor, or keep in pan and use an immersion blender or hand mixer to mash (Use potato hand masher if you like it chunky). If the mashed cauliflower seems to dry, add in some of the reserve liquid or additional chicken stock.
5. Serve with unsalted non-dairy butter on top of each serving.
You can really have a lot of fun with this recipe because they’re are so many ways to tweak it. Add some roasted garlic and rosemary. Try some Hungarian smoked paprika. Or go with some crumbled-up bacon and fresh chopped chives. If you like a good kick, opt for some horseradish or wasabi.