Plantains are new to my diet and I was hooked after the first bite! These little treats are fantastically flavorful. They take a little bit to put together but are definitely worth it. You can bake the plantains verses frying them if you prefer. You can also top them with fresh cilantro to add a bit more flavor. I’ve tried them both ways and yum yum yum! Makes approximately 30 truly, all natural , super delicious bites that all of your friends will enjoy.
5-6 tablespoons Coconut oil
About 1 cup Pineapple chunks (I used fresh but you can use canned)
¼ cup chopped Red onion
About 30 leaves of Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Peel the plantains. Cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- Press something down on top of them to slightly squish each slice.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil in frying pan using medium/high heat.
- Add plantains. Do not stack them. Cook for about 90 seconds to 2 minutes, then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. You may need to cook several batches, depending on the size of your pan just add a little more oil each time. The timing on cooking here is approximate. You may need to go a little shorter or longer. Just don’t under cook them. You want them to brown but even the burnt looking ones taste delicious.
- Once cooked, remove from pan and place on paper towel.
- Slice avocado, onion and pineapple into chunks. And about 30 cilantro leaves, if you are adding them to the plantain bites.
- Place fried plantains on serving plate, stack with a slice of avocado, slice of onion, and a slice of pineapple. Then top it off with a cilantro leaf, if you wish. Secure with a toothpick to keep them from sliding apart.
NOTE: If you are going to make these in advance of serving, toss the avocado with some lemon juice first so it doesn’t brown before people get a chance to admire them.
Also, if you buy a bunch of cilantro, you will have extra. Please don’t waste it! Just puree with garlic, olive oil, salt and walnuts for delicious topping to any veggie.
Check out this recipe of Gluten-Free Deviled Eggs on Kerri Chronicles. It’s a favorite!